Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Toshiba m305

Okay, so I am using a toshiba m305d laptop. So far this thing has sucked for linux...so I am going to be the person to go ahead and go through these hurdles, get it working..and see if I can help out the community in any way..

I'm not the most professional at this..I am pretty much a n00b, so if your a techie..just follow along and see what you can get from this..

First of all, Most linux distributions (fedora 10, suse, ubuntu) wont even start on the machine, it gives an error(at least for me) error is that disabling irq #9 and then hangs. to get past this it seems all you need to do is pass pci=noacpi and then you get to boot.

We will be back with ethernet problems. I know for a fact that everything pre fedora 10 does not work with the ethernet driver, I can't remember what the problem was, but I believe its hardware id was not linked correctly at the kernel. I know that there was a way to compile from source..but this quickly turned into a dependency hell...


alright..and the link lights on my ethernet adapter are up for the first time in any linux distro i have seen..I believe that is a good sign.

No comments: