Wednesday, March 14, 2007

New Home Server

Well.... God Certainly has provided. I have everything that I could possibly need now, for a home server. 256mb Ram, I dont know anything about the rest of the machine, since I can only see the hardware at this point. I know it has at the very least...some ethernet adapters. I might go up to best buy tommorrow or something, because I now need wireless installed on the thing...

So, Now what I need is... A decent copy of linux.. Thinking about using OpenSuse. Thats the one novell has released in stores, and I had been wanting to try it out. It's free for download off from their website. Or maybe Slackware. Was thinking of trying DSL, but I didn't like the name at all. Heck, I might even use fedora. But Fedora sounds like the best and safest bet right now. In any case, I think I might do everything in runlevel 3 and just ssh it. Seems like the best bet, I'm thinking the X-server would seriously Decrease performance. But I might keep it at 5 for a little while...at least for jackson to understand it. Either way it's stinking cool.

Wonder what I could do if I ever Got That old laptop to work... Well anyways, I need to take a shower and get Cleaned Up. This room is a terrible mess.

Looking forward to setting it up with dydns and port forwarding...thats the hard part right there. I must be missing something with what I am doing. I keep thinking I have everything set right, but then something doesn't work...I've enabled port forwarding.. I simply cannot understand what Is going on.

Another Thing God has blessed Us with is an XP Home Edition product Key. I can install Home Edition on my parents computer in the basement now...Thank God. That'll be a blessing for them. And me too.

And I'll VNC them while I'm at it..heck why not... Thats a cool Idea. The PC will become a gateway into the network as well.

I gotta get that range booster working so my mothers money wasn't wasted. I feel terrible about that...were like stinking broke. And I need to find another off ebay or something that works with ndiswrapper...

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Most of the large organization register her home server in windows based.It's very easy to access and user friendly.web hosting provider